Official Details About the Criminal Case Opened Based on Ilan Shor’s Statements About the €1.5 million Offered to the Dodon Family
Ilan Shor, Moldovan deputy, and businessman who in June 2019 fled the country stated that he had offered several goods to President Igor Dodon. Although Shor made the statement in February 2019 and the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office launched a criminal case a month later. Shor offered documents that were attached to the case. However, there were no developments in the criminal case. ZdG asked the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office about the current stage of this case.
In March 2019, the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office launched a criminal case involving Moldova’s President Igor Dodon. ZdG asked the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office about the current stage of the case. The Prosecutor’s Office told us that the case was sent to another prosecutor.
“Following the statements made at the beginning of February 2019 by Ilan Shor in a press conference, the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office notified itself. On February 11, 2019, he was heard, stating certain circumstances. A month later, the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office launched a criminal case on the passive corruption of state officials. Shor presented some documents, which were collected and attached to the case. These were the only and last procedural actions performed in this case. In these circumstances, based on the criminal procedural provisions, the interim head of the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office decided to withdraw the respective case from the management of the prosecutor responsible for its investigation and send it for examination to another prosecutor within the same specialized prosecutor’s office,” it is specified in a statement of the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office.
At the beginning of February 2019, during a press conference, Shor stated that he had previously helped Dodon several times.
“I paid for his trip to Moscow, he used my plane, my house, we were in Monaco for a match. And if these threats wouldn’t have appeared, I would not have said anything about it, as he asked me,” Shor declared.
He also brought a bag to that press conference, claiming that it contained things that Dodon personally received from him.
“I can send this bag to the Presidency, maybe the smell or the size of the bag will remind you of something? If Igor Nicolaevici (e.n. President Igor Dodon) forgot about these moments, which describe our relations, let him publicly state that this is not true,” Shor stated.
Later, in September 2019, Shor stated that in the black bag he sent to Dodon were 3 million. According to Shor the money was allegedly paid by the former Prime Minister Vlad Filat to Dodon, back then the Socialist Party leader to support the appointment of Nicolae Timofti as Moldova’s President. Shor added that the money came from Banca de Economii, one of the three banks involved in the theft of the century.
Shor assured that he has evidence, but he can’t present it because Moldova is a captured state, and the Prosecutor’s Office is subordinated to Dodon. Previously, the former head of the Anticorruption Prosecutor’s Office, Viorel Morari stated during the Shadow Cabinet TV show that Ilan Shor offered information and between 2013-2014 Shor would have sent €1.5 million to a state official who is now Moldova’s President – Dodon. Shor, who is a witness on the case, stated that he also paid for the Dodon family and for Dodon various flights which were used to pay for the luxury trips,” said Morari.